Baltimore RNLI resume search for third missing person after tragic accident off west Cork coast

Categories: Uncategorized
Tags: No Tags
Published on: July 1, 2015

Baltimore RNLI is continuing their search this morning for a third person who got into difficulty off the coast of west Cork following a tragic accident yesterday evening (Tuesday 30 June).

The volunteer lifeboat crew launched their inshore and all-weather lifeboats at 5.15am and are continuing to search in the area where the casualties entered the sea.

Baltimore RNLI was first alerted at 6.38pm yesterday following a report that three people were in the water off Baltimore Beacon. The Beacon is within sight of the RNLI lifeboat station at Bull Point.

A woman was reported to have been swept into the sea. One man entered the water in an attempt to rescue her followed by a second man but all three got into difficulty. The alarm was raised by a fourth person on the shoreline.

Both the RNLI all-weather and inshore lifeboats were launched with minutes and on scene within 10 minutes of the crew’s pagers going off.

Weather conditions at the time were described as good. It was misty, the sea was flat calm but there was a big swell with breaking waves on the shoreline.

Once on scene, the all-weather lifeboat recovered one casualty and the inshore lifeboat recovered a second, both from the water at Eastern Hole on the sea side of Baltimore Beacon within 12 minutes of receiving the alert.

Two teams of two trained RNLI crew members immediately began and continued CPR on both casualties. The casualties were transferred to the all-weather lifeboat which returned to the lifeboat station while the inshore lifeboat and the all-weather’s Y-boat continued to search for a third casualty.

Teams of HSE paramedics were waiting at the station to give further assistance alongside SouthDoc, Rapid Response Unit, Waterford and Shannon Coast Guard helicopters and the Gardai. Tragically, the casualties were pronounced dead a short time later.

The all-weather lifeboat went back out to continue the search in poor visibility. The search was stood down at 10.30pm as darkness fell. The search recommenced this morning at 5.15am with both Baltimore RNLI’s all-weather and inshore lifeboats searching for the third missing person.

Tom Bushe, Baltimore RNLI Lifeboat Operations Manager said: ‘Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved in this awful tragedy and we would like to express our condolences to the families of the deceased. The multi-agency search and rescue effort recommenced early this morning and our volunteers will be doing their utmost to find the third casualty.’

Share this

Welcome , today is Monday, September 20, 2021